As you probably know, we perform a wide variety of cosmetic and restorative dental procedures at our Lower Manhattan dental office. We know many of our patients may be unfamiliar with the details of various dental specialties. There are six specialties in dentistry that require additional training beyond dental school.
1. Endodontists focus on tooth pulp and the tissues around the tooth root. They most often focus on root canals.
2. Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons remove teeth due to injury or disease. They also treat oral cancers and problems with the joints in the jaw. Some maxillofacial surgeons perform facial cosmetic procedures.
3. Orthodontists straighten teeth with either metal appliances (also called braces) or the Invisalign system.
4. Periodontists focus on gum disease.
5. Prosthodontists‘ primary focus is tooth replacement. They specialize in dentures, dental implants and bridges.
6. Pediatric Dentists limit their practice to children and adolescents. Some pediatric dentists also work with developmentally disabled adults as well.
You can rest assured that your Manhattan cosmetic dentists will connect you with the right specialist for your needs, should a need arise.
To your health and beauty,
Jeffrey Shapiro, DDS, PC and Glenn Chiarello, DDS
NYC Cosmetic Dentists